WELCOME PROSPECTIVE FLUTE STUDENTS!
This page will provide you with information on auditions and performance opportunities at The College of Saint Rose.
Click here for information on auditions (Saint Rose Music Department)
Audition Requirements for Flute Students:
- Two contrasting solos comparable to NYSSMA Level 5-6 demonstrating skills in slow and lyrical and faster, technical passages
- Chromatic Scale (ful range, low C to high C)
- Sight Reading
- Accompanists are not required nor provided
- Audition must be played on flute (additional selection may be played on alto, bass or piccolo)
- Mozart Concerto in D or G Major (fast and slow movement) or add a slow movement of a Bach Sonata if playing a fast movement of Mozart
- A selection from French Flute Solos ed. by Moyse, such as Concertino by Chaminade, fast and slow sections and/or additional contrasting piece such as a slow movement from a Mozart Concerto or Bach Sonata
- Selections from a multi-movement work, slow and technical passes such as: Sonata by Muczynski, Sonata by Prokofiev, Sonatina by Burton, Suite by Widor, Sonatina by Keith Gates, Concerto by Ibert
- Two contrasting solo flute pieces such as: Syrinx by Debussy, Density 21.5 by Varese, Danse de la Chevre by Honegger, Solo Sonata in A minor by C.P.E. Bach, Partita in A minor by J. S. Bach, Sonata by John LaMontaine
- Any baroque concerto by composers such as Vivaldi, Blavet, Telemann, Quantz, C.P.E Bach, two constrasting movements, or 1 movement paired with contrasting work such as Mozart Concerto, Syrinx by Debussy
The Saint Rose Wind Ensemble: open by audition only, auditions are held the first week of classes. This ensemble is highly competitive and take only 5 flutes. Includes at least two performances per semester and is open to music majors and non-music majors.
The Saint Rose Chamber Winds: open by auditions only held first week of classes. This ensemble performs one concert per semester and is open to music majors and non-music majors.
The Saint Rose Chamber Orchestra: open to music majors and non-music majors. Includes two performances per semester.
The Saint Rose Flute Choir: open to both music majors and non-music majors. See web page HERE